BEIRUT — Social Affairs Minister Hector Hajjar said Friday that, in coordination with the municipality of Tripoli, he has held a virtual meeting with UNHCR, UNICEF, the IMO, the Lebanese Cross, the Lebanese Army and civil society organizations in Tripoli to discuss “the potential of assisting the victims of the sinking ship incident near Tripoli.”
Here’s what we know:
• Around 30 people remain missing following the sinking of the migrant boat off Qalamoun, south of Tripoli. At least six people have so far been confirmed dead in the tragedy, according to the Lebanese Army.
• In a statement, Hajjar said that during the meeting the organizations discussed “the best way to respond to the needs of the families that were affected from this tragedy in all aspects.”
• The statement added that the organizations agreed to form a plan for the crisis and to “share data and information.” The statement added that the coordination will continue between the parties “to implement this plan through [holding] intensive meetings.”
• On Thursday, the Lebanese Army said in a tweet that “for the fifth day in a row, the process of searching for the victims of the sinking ship incident near the coast of Tripoli has continued.”