Search
Search

DIPLOMACY

Rajji: Renewing the Iranian ambassador’s visa would be a 'legal heresy'

The Iranian diplomat has been considered persona non grata by the Lebanese government since last March, but has remained in Lebanon with the backing of his allies. His residence permit is set to expire on Aug. 24, according to the an-Nahar.

Rajji: Renewing the Iranian ambassador’s visa would be a 'legal heresy'

Foreign Minister Joe Rajji. (Credit: NNA)

BEIRUT — Foreign Affairs Minister Joe Rajji told an-Nahar in an interview published Thursday that Lebanon’s decision to consider Iran’s ambassador, Mohammad Reza Shibani, as persona non grata “leaves no room for interpretation or discretion,” therefore any potential renewal of his visa, which is set to expire early next week, “would have no legal basis.”

“As soon as a diplomat is declared persona non grata, he is required to leave the territory of the host state, and any visa, entry authorization, or residence permit previously granted to him has no further legal effect allowing him to remain on that territory. Therefore, discussing the renewal of any such document constitutes a legal heresy and goes against the fundamental rules of international law and established diplomatic practices.”

The Iranian diplomat remained in Lebanon despite his persona non grata status since March, when Lebanese authorities took a series of measures to expel members of the Revolutionary Guard present in Lebanon and further reduce ties with Tehran after Hezbollah’s resumption of war against Israel in support of Iran.

On March 2, Hezbollah fired rockets at Israel to support Tehran, after the war launched by Israel and the United States began on Feb. 28, reigniting months of Israeli attacks that continue despite a theoretical cease-fire in effect since mid-June. The foreign ministry’s decision on Ambassador Shibani at the time triggered a standoff between the foreign minister and Iran’s allies, Hezbollah and Amal.

Although he remained on Lebanese soil, mainly within the walls of the embassy, Shibani’s residence permit will expire on Aug. 24, still according to an-Nahar, potentially stirring a new controversy in the country. Local media reported as early as July that General Security might renew this document, despite the government’s decision. There have since been protests – not only from Rajji but from certain political figures such as MP Samy Gemayel, head of the Kataeb party – denouncing “an affront to the prestige of the State.”

Rajji emphasized that “any claim that Shibani's visa would remain valid or could be renewed has no legal value and cannot constitute grounds to justify his continued presence in Lebanon.”

"Shibani’s continued presence on Lebanese soil after the decision to declare him persona non grata is contrary to a clear, sovereign decision made by the Lebanese state,” he added.

“This decision is final and enforceable, allowing for no exception, interpretation, or circumvention, and cannot be subject to any ‘arrangement’ under any designation whatsoever.”

BEIRUT — Foreign Affairs Minister Joe Rajji told an-Nahar in an interview published Thursday that Lebanon’s decision to consider Iran’s ambassador, Mohammad Reza Shibani, as persona non grata “leaves no room for interpretation or discretion,” therefore any potential renewal of his visa, which is set to expire early next week, “would have no legal basis.”“As soon as a diplomat is declared persona non grata, he is required to leave the territory of the host state, and any visa, entry authorization, or residence permit previously granted to him has no further legal effect allowing him to remain on that territory. Therefore, discussing the renewal of any such document constitutes a legal heresy and goes against the fundamental rules of international law and established diplomatic practices.”The Iranian diplomat remained in...