BEIRUT — Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s cabinet is meeting at 12 p.m. today at the Grand Serail to tackle a 21-item agenda, 11 of them pertaining to transferring funds from the budget reserve.
Here’s what we know:
• The cabinet will discuss transfers from the budget reserve to the budgets of the following ministries: LL 5 billion for the Foreign Ministry, LL3.68 billion for the Justice Ministry, LL3.2 billion for the Industry Ministry and LL5.32 million for the Education Ministry. In addition, it will discuss transferring LL5.8 million from the budget plan to the cabinet.
• At the session, the Energy Ministry is expected to present developments on the national plan for the sustainable advancement of the electricity sector, including the establishment of new electricity production plants.
• The Minister for the Displaced is due to present his vision on restructuring the banking sector, which is an item postponed from the previous cabinet session in Baabda. Restructuring of this sector is one of the key conditions to access a financial rescue package for the country from the International Monetary Fund.
• The Industry Ministry is expected to propose forming a committee to supervise the export of wastes, which can be used as raw materials, including: paper, cardboard, leather and all that can be recycled and used in industrial production. Exports of raw materials can not be done under this proposal, without acquiring a license issued by the Industry Ministry.
• The cabinet also aims to discuss a draft decree exempting paper wrappers and opaque cardboard from customs tariffs.